Monday, October 3, 2016

Early Imperialists/German Medieval Army

Lighting array in the basement being much more photo-friendly, I decided to document some completed armies that had not been photographed yet.  First up is these 'Early Imperialist' themed German medieval troops: mounted knights, some townsmen infantry, Bohemian archers, and some Hussite crossbowmen.  






The shield motifs are just itty bitty designed printed in color on paper which I cut out and glued on. Then I did my best to use paint to blend the paper to the rest of the shield.  With a "two-foot rule" they look good. If you stare at them you can see the cut line sometimes...


The Old Glory set IDs are ME-24 (German Knights with lances), ME-36 (Dismounted German Knights), DIF-20 (Hussite Crossbowmen), DIF-25 (Bohemian Infantry Archers) and DIF-26 (Bohemian Town Militia).




The German knights do not come with lances. I drilled out the hands and made my own lances from brass rod.















Now that its done I realize the personal appeal was the crests on the knights helmets.  These Germans line up roughly with the early-mid 1200s.  The Hussite crossbowmen are lets say 1420-1435. Neither of these are the best match for my medieval Battle of Crecy-era French which is square in between at the 1340s.  This is all fine from a Lion Rampant mash-up medieval game standpoint, but makes envisioning something larger and grander like a Hail Caesar! game a little harder to wrap one's brain around.  If I could do it again I would have built a Hundred Years War-era Flanders army instead...


No comments:

Post a Comment