Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Return to Minden-town (Game 2)

The first game having ended in a mere 20 minutes, we quickly reset and played a second game All the Kings Men with most of the same changes as before intact, but put color-downgrading back in for musketry (but movement was still free).  This arrested the casualty free-fall effect seen in the first game's few musketry exchanges, although honestly units were still running across the board too quickly and freely, which at times ruined that lovely "linear tactics" look of 18th century games (fortunately the movement bases countered that a bit).  Lesson learned is that AtKM's color downgrade system is fine as it is.

This second game went better for the Allies, although it teetered on edge of disaster.  As before the French fearlessly advanced into the face of the Hanoverian artillery and overran the guns, and as before the infantry on the Allied left faired poorly, but on the third reshuffle of the deck, the Allies hit a ridiculous run of cards, and the British, Brunswickers, and Hessians on the Allied right surged forward and broke the Grenadiers de France to steal the win.








Below: the French overrun the Allied guns for the second time.





Above and below: the game-winning push by the Allied right against the Grenadiers de France.




5 comments:

  1. Hey, just happened to stumble across this blog and thought I'd reach out... Fantastic stuff, and excellent pics!

    Back in the mid- to late-80's I used to frequent the monthly sessions of the Western Oregon Wargamers, the group that James Kyler belonged to, held at the old Beaverton library. I moved back to the area a little over a year ago and wondered if any of that circle of gamers stayed in contact or continued to meet up.

    Were you ever part of that group, or do you happen to know anyone who was?

    Just curious,

    -NTS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your complements, NTS!

      I was never part of WOW (before my time!) but I know several ex-WOW people.

      -Spencer

      Delete
  2. Understood. Well, let me know if you guys plan to meet up again at GG or elsewhere, and I'll try to stop by and gawk at the action...

    Thanks!

    -Nathan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nathan,

      Please mark your calendar for this:
      https://ambuscadeportland.blogspot.com/p/details-schedule-ambuscade-2017.html

      Come play or just gawk.

      -Spencer

      Delete
  3. Found this blog via Tom Gow's mention. I like those BMC figures. Having a few myself, beginning with my then 3-year-old daughter's discovery, I've left mine as AWI. Not knowing different at the time, I painted my mitre hat guys as British Grenadiers, to begin with.

    I am impressed with the look and finish of you 7YW armies, and the attractively table set-up. Looks great!
    Cheers,
    Ion (Archduke Piccolo) Dowman

    ReplyDelete