Thursday, April 5, 2018

War Griffon completed!



Well, not completely done - I still need to sand and flock the base.  And it turns out I (repeatedly) forgot to paint the little chinstrap on the rider's helmet.  But this is otherwise varnished and everything.



I got this figure maybe 2-3 years ago. The rider's sword arm (a separate piece) was missing, and repeated attempts to source a cheap donor model to part out for a spare gauntlet-with-weapon were not successful. More recently I've been hankering to play Dragon Rampant again, but with larger armies ("big battle" style such as we have been doing with Pikeman's Lament and Lion Rampant) and using some of the scenarios from our historical games (such as our Middlewich game).

I'm not really a big fan of the Empire and Bretonnia lines by GW, with the exception of a few select items (this griffon rider, GW's older flagellants, some of the older Empire Knights), but I do like Black Tree Design's "Helsinians" line (formerly made by Harlequin) - mainly because they have a look to them that is not Empire/Bretonnian (although their 'Averaign' line, by contrast, looks very Bretonnian).  I have enough figs from the Helsinian line to make three units of foot, plus a unit of flagellants/fanatics, and also the old GW Empire War Altar model, so that should make a good core army.

No comments:

Post a Comment