Wednesday, March 16, 2022

From the chamber of death, from a hostile region*

I was able to arrange another game of SAGA and try out my Lombard warband again.  This time they were matched against Andrew's Vikings. We played the basic 'Clash of the Warlords' scenario.

Lombards (top) and Vikings (bottom) after Viking first moves.

I tried to be a bit more cagey this time and to only commit to melees after thinking it out a little.  During terrain selection I placed a wood in my center and then on deployment centered my archers in therein.  I put 6 mounted hearthguard on one flank and two 10-figure mounted warrior units on the other.  

Viking warriors.

I then used maneuvers and activations to send the mounted troops out to the extreme flanks. This looked like an envelopment tactic but such things are meaningless in SAGA because units do not have flanks.  What I was hoping was that the mounted troops circling around on the flanks would cause Andrew to leave a foot unit overextended somewhere that I could then gang up on.

Lombard warriors.

Unfortunately, I was the one who left a unit unsupported - with my 6 hearthguard riding out a little too far to the flank, which led to Andrew sending some Viking warriors loaded up with a double-rare Viking board ability to attack.  The warriors only had one figure left but the hearthguard were down to 2.  

Lombard warriors.

Andrew did some attacks on the levy archers with another warrior unit, and his berserkers were able to blow up a mounted warrior unit. 

Lombard levy archers.

Feeling the winds against me, I went for bombastic and charged my remaining 10 warrior unit up the middle and killed his warlord.  My warriors only lost one figure but were exhausted, and Andrew's viking hearthguard mopped them up on his turn.

Lombard warlord with his levy archers. Viking warriors prepare to charge a levy archer unit in the distance.

At this point I called it with a turn and half to go.  Andrew won 21-19 on points.  I feel like I am getting close to being able to use the Lombards effectively.  They have a little bit of an "alpha strike" feel to them - their abilities are strongest on the attack and with the emphasis on mounted troops the 10 warriors taking out the warlord seems like the correct approach. Lombards can take Breton mercenaries (skinned as Bulgars - the minis are on order), and I think a mounted warrior unit with javelins will be a big upgrade. 

*Aneurin. Y Gododin. XLVI.

No comments:

Post a Comment