Thursday, October 19, 2023

Crossing the Dredge at Beleynay

Terrain set up for the Dredge.

I arranged a game of Turnip28 with Roger, who has a wonderful collection of converted and customized Turnip28 regiments.  We played the "Crossing the Dredge" scenario from the main rulebook but on a 3'x3' board.  The Dredge is a single piece of defendable terrain in the dead center of the board, with dangerous terrain extending out to each side.  Objective markers are placed on each piece of terrain.

The Dredge, viewed from other side.

I played the Grand Bombard cult again, and Roger used the Lopers stilt-walking cult.

The "kissing booth" objective marker that Roger made!

Unlike in the prior game of Turnip28, my bombard was actually able to score a hit on the second turn, reducing the unit of stilt-walkers from 6 models to 1 in one shot!  However, after this, I started having problems finding targets in LOS of the bombard (which cannot move).

Bombard makes a hit.

My fodder take the objective in the center... 
...while my Brutes take an objective on the right flank.

 Things sort of see-sawed for a turn. Roger's Lopers made some melee progress on his right flank,

Roger's melee fodder, led by his horrifying tooth-head Toff.  His carrot-headed chaff-skirmishers are in the background.

But dangerous terrain took its toll, and the bombard seems to have given me too much control of the right side of the board, which allowed me to grab control of three of the five objectives by the end the game.

This was a really fun and really inspiring game, and it spurred me to make some more progress on my forever-90%-completed fourth piece of dangerous terrain.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful terrain and figures - the Bombard really is a splendid looking weapon even if it doesn't get to move

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks as always! The bombards immobility is one of the games many ways of clever balancing.

    ReplyDelete