Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Wildwood 2023

Kingdoms of Men versus Lizardmen.

I participated in a five-game, two-day Kings of War fantasy wargaming tournament. I entered my renaissance French as a 'Kingdoms of Men' army.  Kings of War is a list-building game, and I deliberately built a list without a lot of added buffs, just to see what would happen.

The revised deployment.

What happened was what I suspected would happened - I went 0-3 on the first day and my army was tabled (all units removed) twice!  However, I was trying different approaches and trying the learn as I went along. On the second day I changed my deployment/strategy radically and almost eeked out a win (got the tie instead) on game 4. 

Kingdoms of Men versus Abyssal Dwarfs.

On game 5 I psyched myself out during deployment and put myself in a poor position. I lost but not as badly as on first-day.

The oversized, quickly painted the night before red banners denote that a one-turn only status effect ("indomitable will") is in play.  The banners are not glued in place and can be sleeved over a unit's pike or lance and then removed when done.

I think its quite commendable that I could take a list I knew wasn't the greatest and lose horribly at first but quickly get better through experience and player decision.  My opponents voted the French as Favorite Army which was quite kind.

2 comments:

  1. Exciting looking games!
    Having a banner with "Invictus" on it is definitely throwing down the gauntlet

    ReplyDelete